How to Change the World by Being the Best You


Life can be really discouraging sometimes.

You look at yourself and wonder what is it that you are doing wrong?
The truth is, there is nothing you are doing wrong, apart from; comparing yourself to others.

I was caught up in the same web until recently when I changed my perspective and decided to look at myself differently. It has taken quite a struggle to be able to accept myself for who I am, learn from the best and do what I can to change my now and my future.

For the longest time, I dwelt on my past. A past full of failures and, disappointments. A past filled with doubts and low-self esteem. I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror. I saw myself as the ugliest person on earth and if anyone at all thought that I was beautiful, I told them that it was a lie.

Growing up, life was not easy. Being the first born in a family of five, I had to work and take care of my siblings most of the time. My life revolved around school and, doing house chores later after school. I had no real friends, I had not time to even make one.

In high school, things got a little better. I could not do house chores because now I was in a boarding school. However, making friends was really hard and so most of the time, I stayed alone.

The four years passed by so fast and within no time, I was out in the society. I passed really well but my parents could not take me to campus directly. I had to get employed at the age of 19.

The salary was quite small but I managed to save three quarters of it in a Sacco and after a while, I managed to take myself to university through taking loans and working to pay them.

All this while, I still kept most of my stuff to myself. I couldn’t get advice whenever I got stuck. This led me to make mistake after mistake till today, I still look back and wonder if things would have been different if I had friends and I mean genuine and good friends.

#Mistake 1
I fell in love with the first guy that approached me. He was my best friend and in my mind, I knew that we will get married some years later. This came out to be true but we broke up few months after that.

Right from the conception of this relationship, I started investing heavily in it. I bought things that could make my tiny house look like a real home. Do not forget, I was doing all this through loans.

I went to the extent of giving my then ‘husband’ money meant for my school fees so that he could construct a house for us back in his village.
Things were good and I was in love.
That love ended and it left me with nothing…no degree, no jobs and huge loans to pay.

# Mistake 2
I held onto my past for so long that it blinded my future. I never knew that I would heal and pick up the pieces. It took more than five years for me to finally let go.

During this time, I faced a lot of challenges. I couldn’t secure a good job due to the incomplete papers. I resulted to hawking women and kids stuff for a living. I thank God because through it, I was able to put food on the table for my son and husband (I have a family now).

# Mistake 3

I did not allow God to take control of my mind, soul, thoughts and actions. I knew Him and I loved Him but I had never developed that close relationship with Him.

I even stopped going to church or mingling with other believers. In my head and thoughts, I felt that I was a disappointment to both God and them, including my family.

The Turning Point


One evening, I looked at my son, and felt so much love. I was not smartly dressed. Sometimes, I couldn’t even afford to make my own hair.
But, to him, I was his mum and he loved me so much. He was so proud of me that he could brag to his friends about how tough I was and they should not mess with him.

From that moment, I decided to go back to Christ, just start afresh, and look at life differently. I slowly went back to church and soon afterwards, my husband started attending services too….

That was when the light in God’s word continued to open my eyes. I started looking at things differently. Even the mistakes I had made, I saw them as learning lessons.
It took God’s intervention and His love for me.

Jeremiah 1:4-10 says
 Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
Then said I, Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.
But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.
Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord.
Then the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.
10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

God loved me, for who I am. He knew me and He also knew that I would make numerous mistakes ( I have just highlighted a few).
And I know that my mistakes will not end but He will continue to love me for me.
There can only be found one you, in the whole world. You have the power to be who you want to be. To be the best you that can ever be found. Don’t look down on yourself, believe that He loves you and love yourself too.
When I started hawking, I didn’t know that I can actually talk to people and they buy my stuff.
I took a step of faith, and started selling. Within no time, my business had picked up.

There was one prayer that I made to God on a daily basis; that He enables me to go back to the same company that I used to work for so that I can repay back the loan that I took.
And sincerely, God is a faithful God. He answered my prayer. Its been eight months since I went back and I have managed to pay half the loan. I am hopeful that I will pay the whole of it off by the end of this year.

Word of Encouragement
God took me as I was, turned my story around. He gave me a new face and now I walk with my head held high. I am not where I want but am glad am not where I used to be.
I am surer of myself and I know that I can achieve a lot. I plan to go back to school come 2019 and I will accomplish much, because I know that there is no replica of me anywhere on this earth.
There is nothing you cannot accomplish, by being yourself.
BE THE BEST YOU THAT CAN EVER BE! Don’t compare yourself to anyone, accept yourself for who you are……..tall or not, you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Thin or fat, you are you and you have to love you for others to love you….

I love you but GOD LOVES YOU MORE!

Take care friend, till next time!

Cheers….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the Past Go – Forge Ahead!

After All, He is Dying: Is There Anything Essential He can Give?

What role do you play in your child’s life?